The Jam’s Setting Sons expanded / reissued
Expanded 4 CD Super Deluxe and Deluxe reissue + Limited edition vinyl featuring never before released The Jam Live in Brighton 1979
The Jam’s 1979 masterpiece Setting Sons has been expanded and reissued on November 17th 2014 as super deluxe and deluxe editions which feature unreleased demos and live tracks. Setting Sons was originally conceived as a concept album that was never fully developed, about old friends reunited after many years to find they had nothing in common anymore. Brimming with brittle white knuckle rock music and muscular tracks boiling over with class hatred and spot on insights into British life, Setting Sons was arguably, the Jam’s most thematically ambitious LP Featuring a harder and grittier sound than it’s predecessor “All Mod Cons”, Setting Sons was recorded when Paul Weller was only 21, his songwriting showing an amazing level of maturity.
The Super-Deluxe box set traces the path of the classic album from initial demos, the two hit singles, ‘Strange Town’ and ‘When You’re Young’, that preceded the album; alternate versions of songs, dynamic live performances, singles and b-sides, through to the point in early 1980 where the Jam’s sound and success coalesced into ‘Going Underground’ – the band’s first number 1 single with it’s incredible Rick Buckler beats, plus live material and DVD. Also available will be a highly collectable limited edition vinyl edition featuring The Jam live at the Brighton Centre from December 1979 which has previously never been released.
The album includes the hit single – The Eton Rifles and Bruce Foxton’s tour-de-force Smithers-Jones. Thick As Thieves, Wasteland, Burning Sky: this idea may have seemed strange to the band’s hardcore fans, but had a precedent with some of Weller’s 60s heroes, notably The Kinks, Small Faces and The Who. Setting Sons took The Jam’s musical template and added a narrative depth and compositional daring which would take their art to a totally new level. The anti-war song Little Boy Soldiers, constructed in three parts, illustrates how the band were moving into a more experimental and ambitious style, whilst retaining the edge for which they were so famous.
One of the most popular bands to emerge from the English punk rock scene of 1977; The Jam had a phenomenal impact on pop music and wider youth culture. In their short career, along with the Sex Pistols, The Clash, and Buzzcocks, they influenced a generation with their music, style, politics and inspiration. Taking creative direction from a wide sphere of influences – The Who, Dr Feelgood, The Kinks and Motown to name a few, they achieved 18 consecutive Top 40 singles in the UK (including 4 number 1s) – they had a fanatical following, their singles entering straight in the top 10, or number 1 in some cases. Their gigs sold out within minutes. Still beloved of original fans and new supporters through Paul Weller’s solo career – he still plays many of the Jam songs in his live sets today.
• Hardback,70-page, full-colour book: including period memorabilia, magazine cuttings (NME etc.), reviews and rare photos from the album sleeve shoot
• New interviews and essay. • Set of 4 prints • Replica 1979 tour brochure • Replica 1979 fan club magazine • Housed in rigid slipcase
Disc 1 – The Original Album
• The 1979 album remastered from the original analogue tapes
• Also includes 8 non-album period singles and b-sides – Strange Town (UK top 20), The Eton Rifles (alt. single version, UK no. 3), When You’re Young (UK top 20) and Going Underground (UK No. 1), from early 1980
1. Girl On The Phone 2. Thick As Thieves 3. Private Hell 4. Little Boy Soldiers 5. Wasteland 6. Burning Sky 7. Smithers-Jones 8. Saturday’s Kids 9. The Eton Rifles 10. Heat Wave
The Singles & B-Sides
11. Strange Town (single) 12. Butterfly Collector (b-side) 13. When You’re Young (single) 14. Smithers-Jones (single version) 15. The Eton Rifles (7” single version) 16. See-Saw (b-side) 17. Going Underground (single) 18. Dreams Of Children (b-side)
Disc 2 – The Demos and Extras
• 18 demos & alternate tracks, 14 previously unreleased, re-mastered
• Also features the classic 4-track BBC John Peel session from 1979
1. Strange Town (alt.version) 2. When You’re Young (alt.version) 3. The Eton Rifles (demo) / (from ‘Extras’album) 4. See-Saw (demo) 5. Girl On The Phone (demo) 6. Thick As Thieves (demo) / (from ‘Extras’album) 7. Private Hell (demo) 8. Little Boy Soldiers (demo) 9. Wasteland (demo) 10. Burning Sky (demo) 11. Simon (demo) 12. Strange Town (demo) 13. The Butterfly Collector (demo) 14. Burning Sky (demo) / (from ‘Extras’album) 15. When You’re Young (demo) 16. Best Of Both Worlds(demo) / (from ‘Direction, Reaction, Creation’) 17. Along The Grove (demo) 18. The Eton Rifles (demo)
BBC – John Peel session, recorded 29/10/1979
19. Thick As Thieves 20. The Eton Rifles 21. Saturday’s Kids 22. When You’re Young
• 20tracks, previously unreleased concert, re-mastered from December 1979.
• A stunning set, with typical passion, their trademark ‘Fire & Skill’ from the band.
• Includes 9 Setting Sons tracks
1. Introduction/ Girl On The Phone 2. To Be Someone 3. It’s Too Bad 4. Burning Sky 5. Away From The Numbers 6. Smithers-Jones 7. Little Boy Soldiers 8. Strange Town 9. Mr. Clean 10. The Butterfly Collector/ Private Hell 11. Thick As Thieves 12. When You’re Young 13. The Eton Rifles 14. Down In The Tube Station At Midnight 15. Saturday’s Kids 16. All Mod Cons 17. David Watts 18. The Modern World 19. Heatwave 20. ‘A’ Bomb In Wardour Street
Disc 4 – The DVD EP
• Features five promo video clips, six Top of the Pops performances and two clips from the BBC’s Something Else show.
Promo videos: 1. Strange Town 2. Butterfly Collector 3. When You’re Young 4. Going Underground 5. Dreams Of Children
BBC Top Of The Pops: 1. Strange Town – 15/03/1979 2. Strange Town – 05/04/1979 3. When You’re Young – 23/08/1979 4. The Eton Rifles – 01/11/1979 5. The Eton Rifles – 15/11/1979 6. Going Underground – 27/03/1980
Something Else (15/09/1979): 1. The Eton Rifles 2. When You’re Young